Welcome! to the Blessed Life Ranch!

Bill and me...thirty two years later!



Tuesday, November 6, 2012

1000 Gifts

I hesitate to even mention this because as soon as one endorses a book every itsy bitsy section is critiqued and every crank comes out the woodwork to show their superior intellect, dissecting the work into uselessness. Well, I used to think I was an intellect, but God has pretty much cured me of that! So I am going to mention a book that has changed how I think and--dare I say--feel about things...lots of things.
One Thousand Gifts is Ann Voskamp’s journey from teeny weeny thanks giving to gigantic gratitude for ALL things God brings into her life. To sharpen her discovery of how much we have to be grateful for she decided to write in her journal one thousand gifts worthy of gratitude.
I’m almost at 300 on my list. And the more I find to be thankful about the more I am thankful. This attitude changes you and slowly you realize you are not only grateful, but you are filled with joy—deep down, soul-comforting, heart-softening, life-changing joy. For all, even the heart-crushing, breath-stealing sorrows of life.
Mrs. Voskamp found out, as I am finding out, that the thanksgiving and joy resulting from this exercise leave no place for anger, gossip, covetousness, mean-spiritedness, or any of the myriad icky feelings and actions common to man.
And we are found to be filled with so much gratitude to God for everything He brings/allows that even a whispered thanks is possible for the hurts and sorrows of life. Our God is good; He plans all things for good and for His glory.

No comments: